2 baking potatoes, baked and cooled
8oz smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 a small onion, diced
2 tbsp flour
3 cups milk or chicken stock
3/4 cup frozen corn, rinse to thaw
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Fresh ground pepper, salt and onion powder, to taste
Add butter to dutch oven and heat medium-high. Cook sausage and onion in dutch oven until sausage browns and onions are soft. While they are cooking, cut cooled baked potatoes in half, scoop out flesh and mash with a fork. Save skins for an appetizer another night or just dice up potatoes with skins for this soup; I have done both. Once onions are cooked, sprinkle with flour, stir to coat for a few minutes to cook out the "floury" taste. Gradually add milk or stock, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Continue to stir until mixture thickens, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan (the best part!). Add potatoes, corn and cheese to mixture and stir until cheese melts and everything is heated through. Add pepper, salt, onion powder and/or whatever other spice to suit your taste. Serve with The Bread.
- You can use fresh sausage that is GF and or DF in lieu of the smoked.
- You can skip the flour or use a GF alternative
- Use your favorite cooking oil in lieu of butter
- The cheese can be left out and it will taste just as good
- When I am planning this dish ahead of time, I'll bake the potatoes in the oven with another night's dinner to save energy. If I am making this last minute, I throw the potatoes in the microwave for 8 minutes.
- I made this the other night with milk b/c I was out of chicken stock, but I usually make it with chicken stock.