Friday, October 21, 2011

DIY LEGO Birthday Cake

So B had a LEGO Building Party on the 15th and I had to make LEGO brick cakes!  I was going to make 1 rectangular brick from a 9"x13" cake pan, but B had other plans.  He informed me that the rectangular brick was not the "original" LEGO brick; the square one with 4 nodules on top was.  He also informed me he wanted a half and half cake, like Wegmans does in their full sheet cakes (one half is vanilla and 1 half is chocolate).  I decided to make 1 cake of each flavor.  So here's what I did.


With each box of cake mix, I made an 8"x8" cake and 6 cupcakes.  I only needed 4 cupcakes for the top of each cake, but I felt better having extras in case I messed something up.  If I am decorating cakes, I never ice them the same day they are baked.  I let them set up for at least 24 hours and they are easier to work with, in my opinion.  Here are all my pieces, cooled.

I sliced off the rounded top of each cake.  Turning them upside down would not have worked; I wanted both top and bottom to be flat.

I cut the top of four cupcakes off.  Leaving them in the wrapper made a perfect guide line for me.

I laid the cupcakes, upside down on the cake to test out where they would go and make sure they fit.

Then I iced the base....

...and each cupcake.  I tried holding the cupcakes from the bottom and icing them, but I could not hold them steady enough and I got more icing on my fingers than on the cupcakes.  So, I cleaned the bottom of an icing can, put a dollop of icing on it to use as "glue" to hold the cupcake in place and iced them that way.  So much better!

When i had completely iced a cupcake, I used a thin, metal spatula to slide the cupcake off the bottom of the icing can and onto the cake.

I could have left the cakes like this, but that' not me.  Every nodule (they are actually called "pips", according to LEGO) on every LEGO brick has the word "LEGO" in it.  So I used a toothpick while the icing was still soft and wrote LEGO on top of all 8 pips.

There you go!

9 comments: