Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Artist and Paula Deen

I watched Good Morning America this morning for the first time in months!  I like GMA but I miss Diane and Chris.  Anywho, two stories in particular roused something in me and I had to get my thoughts down before I forgot.

  1. The Artist - It's a silent film that won a Golden Globe last weekend.  I repeat, it's a silent film.  Movie theaters are receiving complaints and refund demands from patrons b/c they cannot here the dialogue.  *Blink.  Blink, blink.*  'Nuff said.
  2. Paula Deen's announcement that she was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes almost 3 years ago and is just going public now.  And she timed going public with being the new spokesperson for a diabetes drug.  Lots of folks drinking the haterade over this one and I think it's ridiculous.  We all know we can't eat Paula Deen recipes exclusively.  And she has every right to keep her medical issues private.  Just b/c someone is famous does not mean the public has a right to know everything about them.  She said it has taken her all this time to process and accept her diagnosis.  I can totally see that.  Denial is usually the 1st response to bad news.  And who better to be used as an example to other diabetes denialers (I made up another word; I'm good at that.) of "it's never too late to turn things around"?  I mean, if Paula Deen can control her diabetes, everyone with a "little sugar problem" should have hope.  And that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for Jess blogs! People amaze me at their stupidity sometimes. That's the biggest reason why I avoid excessive technology addiction. lol We can't appreciate the simple things anymore. Those who "hate foreign films" because they have to READ or buy tickets for a silent film and then complain...smh...And for Paula Deen, I adore her. Can't say anything wrong about her. She opened up about herself in her memoir and I commend her for that. She's a southern woman using sticks of butter and mayo and all kinds of goodies and she's getting on in years, not surprising that she'd develop diabetes but millions all over the country are getting this diagnosis and it's really a personal choice to be strong about food choices and exercise. I think she's an excellent example of showing us the goodies but reminding us we probably shouldn't make her recipes EVERY day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete