Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

Chicken Broccoli Casserole

This is a "dump" recipe, meaning the ingredients and measurements change based on what I have on hand and how much I am making each time.

8.5 oz box of corn muffin mix, prepared
Cooked chicken or turkey(great use of leftovers)
Frozen broccoli
Can of cream of mushroom soup
Milk
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Butter

Prepare corn muffin mix according to directions and bake.  I usually bake it as bread and not as muffins, but whatever you want to do.

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.  Cover the bottom with cut up turkey or chicken.  Layer your frozen broccoli on top of the turkey, to cover.

Next you will whisk together 1 part milk to 2 parts soup and pour over the broccoli and  turkey.  When I am making this is a 2 quart dish, I need the whole can of soup mixed with a half a can of milk.

Sticking with the 2 quart dish idea, melt half a stick of butter.  To that add your cornbread, crumbled and a couple of handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese.  You'll have to play with these amounts and decide how much of the cornbread topping you want.  When I make a small 1 quart dish, I only need half of the cornbread, so I freeze the rest for another time.  You may like more or less topping on your casserole than I do.

Spread your cornbread mixture over the top of your other ingredients to cover.  Bake for 45-60 minutes, depending on how big your dish is.  If you find, halfway through, that your topping is getting too brown, you can cover your dish with foil for the rest of the cooking time.  

Make sure you let your casserole cool for 5-10 minutes before serving it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment