Saturday, February 18, 2012

If you like piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain...

I just worked 5 nights straight and have the next 2 nights off.  You'd think I'd be dragging myself in the door and falling into bed.  But for some reason, when I have the next day off, I am wired when I get home.  I'm excited that I get to spend the whole next day with my guys.  And the juices were flowing with ideas for my blog during the car ride home, so I'm going to take advantage of this energy and get some things down.  However, my blog idea - in the title - is going to have to wait b/c once I came home, I found things to warm my heart so I have to talk about those first.


I expressed to the hubs last week that when I come home from work and check on B, it takes all of my willpower not to crawl into bed with him or carry him back to our bed with me.  I miss him!  And kids are always at their most precious when they are asleep.  He recently switched from the bottom bunk back to the top bunk, so I can't even  hug or kiss his sleeping form now.  I walked into our bedroom tonight and found this:


The hubs is sleeping in B's room and B is in our room!  All warm and angelic-looking and ripe for snuggling!  My man is so good to me.  But wait, there's more.  I snapped this picture with the camera that sits on my nightstand.  Ever other night when I come home my 2 cats (brother and sister) are asleep, wrapped around each other in all kinds of different positions.  So I'm snapping pictures of them at night and plan to publish a Kitty Sutra book.  (Thankfully they were keeping it rated G tonight since B was in the bed.)


As hard as it was to not crawl into bed with these guys, I came downstairs to blog before I forgot my ideas.  I uploaded the pictures expecting to find just the above pic and those of the cats on the camera but found a surprise.  Pictures of the dinner I left for the boys on Valentine's Day while I was at work.  B had specifically asked for broccoli and cheese soup, with ham, in a bread bowl for dinner.  I made a pot of soup, carved out the bread bowl (could not find anything in-between dinner roll and round loaf for a family of 8, so I went with the loaf) and left it for the hubs to assemble for dinner.  He took pictures of the finished product!  Because that's what I do when I want to post a recipe on my blog.  The bread bowl filled with soup with 2 spoons in it in portrait mode.  Another one in landscape mode.  And another one with a plate of butter and a butter knife next to the bread bowl of soup.  *sniff, sniff*  I'm all vaclempt! Tawk amongst yaselves!  I'll give you a topic - The Civil War was not civil nor a war.  (Any Mike Meyer fans out there?)


OK, I've pulled myself together and can now move on to the title of the blog...


On the way home form work Tuesday, Valentine's Day, and tonight, I heard the song Escape (The Piña Colada Song) by Rupert Holmes.  I love that song!  My favorite line is, "Oh. It's you."  LOL!  It's one of those great songs that crosses barriers.  No matter the age, color, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity or gender of people in any given bar or club in this country, you play that song and everyone's going to sing along.


When I was younger (I actually remember that song hitting the air waves when it was released) I had a completely different view of the song.  Although it was catchy and I could not help but sing along, I hated the story line.  It's about infidelity.  And, for some reason, I never focused on her infidelity, only his.  I had the ignorant viewpoint that she must have been forced to seek comfort and attention elsewhere whereas he was just a pig, if solely for the reason that he called his partner his "old lady".  Ugh!  I hate that description!


Well, I'm all grown up now, and fully understand what the reality of staying together with the same person for 17 years is all about.  However, neither one of us refers to the other as "my old man" or "my old lady".  I actually waggled my pointer finger in the air while typing that last sentence.  hehehe.  Tonight this song gave me an idea for couples who may be stuck in a rut.  Both parties write a personal ad, place it in the paper (or online) and the other person has to guess which ad was written by their partner.  So that feelings are not hurt and the spirit is kept fun (instead of causing arguments) the ads (at least the 1st ones) should be somewhat easy to guess.  Start with at least 1 thing your partner will recognize as you with a few things they may not know.  They'll find you but also learn something new about you.  I think it can be an enrichment activity that is done several times, at least 5, to get to know each other all over again.  Remind him or her what turns you on and what doesn't.  Tell them about something new you are into or want to try.  I think it would be fun and I can't wait to share my idea with the hubs in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment