Saturday, February 11, 2012

Of All The Vegetables To Hate - Potatoes? Seriously?!

B has always been a good vegetable eater.  He likes broccoli, brussels sprouts, spinach, carrots, peas, corn, green beans, asparagus, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, lettuce, cucumbers, cauliflower, snow peas, etc.  But the bane of his existence is the white potato.  I guess that is too dramatic.  He'll gladly eat mashed white potatoes with gravy.  However, fixed any other way, I get this face:
Can you see the flash reflecting off of the tears in his eyes?

This picture is without the flash and the tears are more obvious.
We celebrated Valentine's Day tonight since I will be working the night of the 14th.  We had shrimp, lobster (thank you, Safeway, for your $5 lobster tail special!), a ribeye and au gratin potatoes.  Since we were celebrating a holiday, I decided to let us off the hook for a "real" vegetable and just went with protein and a starch.  The starch was butter potatoes done au gratin - milk, flour, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese, butter - all ingredients that B likes individually.  So, if he likes all the parts, why "the face" over the whole?!

I need to stop.  I need to not make an issue over the white potatoes and be so thankful for all the other veggies that B eats.  But I needed to type this out, share it with y'all, to get the annoyance/worry out of my system and move on.  Thank you for letting me get that out of my system so I can now move on.  Having a blog is so cathartic.  Y'all rock!

1 comment:

  1. Well, valid for hurt feelings over a homecooked dish that you anticipated to be a hit and instead got "the face"...but yes, get over it, lol. Not liking potatoes is a very small thing...I mean, your child eats brussel sprouts, BRUSSEL SPROUTS. You rock as a veggie cooking Mama obviously. Mom's who have kids that eat the list of veggies you mention wear crowns of pride, don't let a little cheesy white potato knock that crown off baby :)

    ReplyDelete