About Me

My photo

I am a very lucky woman with a husband and son who are smart, witty and entertaining. Our son, B, attended public school for two years, and then we embarked on a new adventure in the Fall of 2010 - homeschooling. We don't have all the answers, but we know B and this has been the best thing for him. I blog to preserve our stories and our memories, share recipes, vent and ramble on about our crazy, yet blessed, life. Would you care to follow along?

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Stir-Fry

Not the best photo! I totally forgot to take a picture of the wok or a plate before we dug in. So, this is what was left in the wok after we had devoured our shares.  Sorry!
The hubs made a double batch of rice last night to go with our Quick and Tasty Tilapia and I wanted to incorporate it with dinner tonight.  I was not in the mood to make the labor intensive Benihana Attempt, so I just made my simple Chicken Stir-Fry.  Stir-fries, like soups, are a great way to use up leftover or near-their-expiration-date veggies.  Tomorrow is our major, once-every-2-weeks shopping trip.  I had the following in the fridge left over from the last trip:

  • one broccoli crown, 
  • one-third of a bag of baby carrots and 
  • baby bella mushrooms.
To those I added:
  • half a sweet onion, 
  • garlic, 
  • ginger, 
  • chicken breasts and
  • Wegmans Stir-Fry Sauce, all of which I always have on hand. The Stir-Fry Sauce is not only flavorful, it's gluten-free, lactose-free, fat-free and vegan!

Here's a ginger tip I got from Rachel Ray - I buy the root in the grocery store and store it in a bag in the freezer.  Whenever I need ginger, I get out my peeler and peel off just enough of the "skin" to expose the amount I need to use.  Then I grate what I need using a microplane.  Put the rest of the root back into the freezer for next time!

How to make Chicken Stir-Fry:

  • Wash and chop broccoli crown and shrooms
  • Slice onion and carrots
  • Press garlic
  • Grate ginger
  • Cube chicken breast
  • Get wok hot on high heat
  • Add 1 tbsp of oil of choice and heat (I used sesame oil but you can use olive or a vegetable oil)
  • Add chicken and stir around to cook, 3-5 minutes
  • Remove chicken from pan, set aside and wipe out wok
  • Add another tbsp of oil and heat
  • Add veggies, garlic and ginger.  I don't like all of my veggies in stir-fry to be firm, especially onions.  So I add the onions and carrots first to get them to soften up before adding the garlic, ginger, broccoli and shrooms.
  • Once veggies are cooked to your liking, add chicken back in
  • Add whatever amount of stir-fry sauce you like
  • Make sure chicken and sauce are heated through
  • Eat!  Or serve over rice, which is what we do.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment