Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Stir-Fry

Not the best photo! I totally forgot to take a picture of the wok or a plate before we dug in. So, this is what was left in the wok after we had devoured our shares.  Sorry!
The hubs made a double batch of rice last night to go with our Quick and Tasty Tilapia and I wanted to incorporate it with dinner tonight.  I was not in the mood to make the labor intensive Benihana Attempt, so I just made my simple Chicken Stir-Fry.  Stir-fries, like soups, are a great way to use up leftover or near-their-expiration-date veggies.  Tomorrow is our major, once-every-2-weeks shopping trip.  I had the following in the fridge left over from the last trip:

  • one broccoli crown, 
  • one-third of a bag of baby carrots and 
  • baby bella mushrooms.
To those I added:
  • half a sweet onion, 
  • garlic, 
  • ginger, 
  • chicken breasts and
  • Wegmans Stir-Fry Sauce, all of which I always have on hand. The Stir-Fry Sauce is not only flavorful, it's gluten-free, lactose-free, fat-free and vegan!

Here's a ginger tip I got from Rachel Ray - I buy the root in the grocery store and store it in a bag in the freezer.  Whenever I need ginger, I get out my peeler and peel off just enough of the "skin" to expose the amount I need to use.  Then I grate what I need using a microplane.  Put the rest of the root back into the freezer for next time!

How to make Chicken Stir-Fry:

  • Wash and chop broccoli crown and shrooms
  • Slice onion and carrots
  • Press garlic
  • Grate ginger
  • Cube chicken breast
  • Get wok hot on high heat
  • Add 1 tbsp of oil of choice and heat (I used sesame oil but you can use olive or a vegetable oil)
  • Add chicken and stir around to cook, 3-5 minutes
  • Remove chicken from pan, set aside and wipe out wok
  • Add another tbsp of oil and heat
  • Add veggies, garlic and ginger.  I don't like all of my veggies in stir-fry to be firm, especially onions.  So I add the onions and carrots first to get them to soften up before adding the garlic, ginger, broccoli and shrooms.
  • Once veggies are cooked to your liking, add chicken back in
  • Add whatever amount of stir-fry sauce you like
  • Make sure chicken and sauce are heated through
  • Eat!  Or serve over rice, which is what we do.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment