Saturday, June 9, 2012

Leftover Wednesday - Breakfast Dinner



I know, I know; it's Saturday.  I'm sorry I was unable to get this post up Wednesday night.  B was preparing to take his brown belt test in Tae Kwon Do today (which he passed) and B and I were finishing up his end of year test because our state requires proof of progress from homeschoolers each Summer.  But I did use up some leftovers to make a great Breakfast-Dinner (that's what we call it when we have breakfast foods for dinner).

Last Saturday we went to a local farmer's market and the hubs bought a loaf of cinnamon apple bread because it, "...smells so gooooood!"  By Wednesday, the loaf was still sitting on the counter, unwrapped.  The cinnamon sugar covering the outside of the bread was starting to liquify.  So I sliced it up and made fabulous French toast with it.  I also made my favorite chiffonade (cut into ribbons) of ham luncheon meat that was at it's use-or-lose date and half an orange I found in the fridge.

Look at the swirling cinnamon in this slice...
...and the chunks of apple in this one!
The bread was so filling, none of us could eat more than 1 slice.  So I cut up the rest of the loaf, wrapped each slice in plastic wrap and then put 3 slices each into 2 freezer bags.  Now the bread won't go to waste, and I can pull it out the next time I was to make a hearty, filling French toast, regular toast with butter or maybe a bread pudding.  Will have to look into that last suggestion...
Add caption



No comments:

Post a Comment