Tuesday, January 29, 2013

God's Fingers


Do you ever see something in nature that takes your breath away or causes a feeling of awe in you?   Maybe  realizing how small you are while standing on the shore of an ocean?    Enjoying a sunset?  Being surprised by the majesty of a buck in the woods near your suburban house?  How about when there is a cloud in front of the sun and you can see the sunbeams streaming out from around the cloud?

Since B was preschool age, he has called those sunbeams, "God's fingers", and I think that is a perfect description.  Although we enjoy the benefits of the sun on a clear day, we don't look at it.  We know it's there but don't think to stop and acknowledge it.  It's too bright to look at; it would hurt our eyes.  Then all of a sudden, our sunny, clear, perfect day/life is interrupted by a cloud.  What happened?  Where did the sun go?  I don't want clouds; I don't want rain.  I have plans!  Sunny is good!  Why clouds?  Why now?  Everything was going just fine with the sun!

We then look up to see what has interrupted our sunniness.  It's a cloud - just one but still,  unwanted.  The sun's brightness and awesomeness is too much for our eyes, but a little cloud, a little darkness, a little speed bump in that perfect, clear day/life allows us to see the sun in it's beams.  It's alright, says the sun, "I'm still here.  Do not be disappointed, sad, afraid.  I know you need me more during the dark times, that's why I am reaching out to you.  This cloud, too, shall pass and your day/life will be sunny again.  Just know I'm still here in the meantime."

We've not had much of a Winter here, yet.  Mostly mild to warm temperatures have the flora so confused and those with allergies still suffering.  Last week, however, we woke to temperatures in the teens.  I took this picture of my kitchen while standing in my living room that morning.  The front of our house faces due East and this window in the kitchen faces South.  The houses in our community do not have much room between them - enough for one pass of the lawnmower in each of our side yards is about it.  So, imagine my surprise to walk into the South-facing kitchen and see God's fingers streaming through that window!  It was beautiful, breathtaking.  I just stared, in awe, and felt His presence.  Luckily I thought to snap a picture before it went away because, it did go away, after only a few minutes.  But I remember what it looked liked; I remember how it made me feel.  I'm here.  There will be disappointment, sadness, fear.  You'll need me more during those times, that's why I'm reaching out to you.  Just remember, the darkness will pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment