Monday, January 7, 2013

Granola and Smoothies


Two of B's current favorite food items are granola and smoothies.  He likes to eat my granola like cereal - in a bowl with milk over it.  But it can also be eaten plain, as a snack, or over yogurt, as the hubs does.  I was making B a smoothie for breakfast this morning and he wanted to watch for the 1st time.  He stood next to me with his shoulders scrunched up and hands pressed against his ears because he can't stand the noise.  After I was done blending he says, "Mom, we need to get a Vitamix. They are much quieter when the guy uses it in Costco."  @@




FRUIT SMOOTHIE

1 Handful of frozen fruit, any one kind or a variety
Approx 1/2 C of plain yogurt (I just scooped some in)
1/2 a banana, sliced
1 Cup of juice of your choice

Add all ingredients to blender and blend on Ice Crush mode, if you have it, to really break down the frozen fruit and then finish with Food Processor mode.  The amount pictured in my blender filled a 1 pint mason jar and he drank it all.  :o)

GRANOLA

5 C Oats
2 Handfuls, approx. 1 C, whole almonds or whatever nut you'd like
1/3 C Oil
1/3 C Honey
1/2 - 1 tsp Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 F.  Chop nuts by hand or in food processor and then mix with oats.  In a separate bowl, mix oil, honey and cinnamon.  I heat the honey so it's easier to mix into the oil (learned that trick from Chuck Hughes).  Add oat/nut mix to bowl of liquids and toss until thoroughly coated.  Spread mixture out on a sheet pan (I put a silicone liner on my pan to avoid sticking) and bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Let cool and place in airtight container.  Crunchy goodness!


1 comment:

  1. I'm going to start adding spinach and tofu to B's smoothies to get even more good stuff in him.

    ReplyDelete