Thursday, August 25, 2011

Day One on The Whole30

Today can be summed up with one word - LABORIOUS.  I have never washed this many dishes on a holiday!  Washing, peeling, chopping, rinsing, crockpotting (I made up a new word - yeah me!), baking, sauteing.  Phew!  I needed to plan more before starting this thing.  Plan out what to have for breakfast, lunch and dinner for at least the 1st week.  The Success Guide actually gives you enough recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks your first week.  However, I could not find canned tomatoes without additional ingredients nor approved sausage, among other ingredients, the hubs won't eat this and B won't eat that...  Aye, ye, ye!

I thought my biggest challenge would be finding something for B to eat at breakfast.  Turns out, my worries were completely unfounded.  Breakfast was a breeze; he ate donuts.  The hubs tried to go into work yesterday but was sent home b/c his office building had sustained damage in Tuesday's earthquake.  On his way back home he stopped at our favorite bagel shop for him and me and at Dunkin Donuts for B.  This morning B says to me, "Last night, when we were cleaning out the fridge and pantry of foods we can't eat for the next 30 days, I asked Daddy if I should throw out the rest of the donuts.  He told me not to.  Why would he tell me not to throw them out if no one could eat them for 30 days?  They'd go bad and we could not eat them in 30 days.  I think he wanted them kept so that someone could eat them now.  Who do you think he wanted to eat them, Mama, who?"  @@  Whatever.  He ate the donuts.

For some reason, God must have thought I needed a humbling day because just about everything I cooked today turned out wrong.  Too spicy, overdone, dry, etc.  Oh, and obviously I needed to practice my knife skills with all the chopping and cutting.  ;o)

Here's what we ate today (please note that not all of us ate everything on this list):

  • Donuts
  • Hard-boiled eggs
  • Cantaloupe
  • Salad
  • Pork Marsala (minus the Marsala)
  • Crockpotted and then roasted (don't ask!) chicken
  • Sweet Potato Fries
  • Bananas
  • Watermelon
I also made soup and 2 kinds of flavored waters today.  The hubs likes to drink Fruit 2O b/c plain water is too, well, plain for him.  He cannot drink store bought flavored waters b/c they have artificial ingredients.  He was really bummed by that.  So, today I made him some raspberry-flavored and lemon-flavored water and both passed his taste test.  :o)  Tomorrow I'm going to make watermelon water and honeydew water.   When he came home from work today I asked him how it went with drinking his coffee black.  "I didn't have any coffee today," he replied.  "Is drinking no coffee better than drinking coffee black?"  "Yes," he replied.  hehehe  He actually drank unsweetened, uncreamed (another new word, courtesy of yours truly) tea at work b/c they have flavored ones there.  *thumbs up*  I cooked with coconut oil for the 1st time.  I'll have to get used to the sweet taste it gives food.

In reflecting on the day, not only do I realize I need to plan and find a way to make things easier on myself, but I don't think any of us ate enough food.  We are supposed to have 3 meals plus 1-2 snacks.  Not only did we not eat all those meals, the portion sizes that those meals are supposed to be are way more than got in us today.  However, at least the donuts made up for lost calories in B's diet.  ;o)  I was tired today; really missed the caffeine.

Oh, I almost forgot!  You are not going to believe this but I cooked with olive oil today and ate it!  No. Reaction.  Why did my allergy to olive oil suddenly disappear?!  I don't know if it is b/c I used an olive oil that was not extra-virgin or if my allergic reactions in the past have not necessarily been the olive oil itself but maybe a combo of the oil and some other ingredient?  I don't know what gave me the wild hair to decide to eat olive oil today, knowing I was allergic to it, but I'm glad I gave it a try!

OK, I gotta go to bed!  Here's hoping tomorrow is less laborious!

2 comments:

  1. Hey cuz,

    I make no claims about how good these are or if they are whole30 approved, but some things I saw while bopping around the interwebs:

    http://cupcakesomg.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-keep-whole30-interesting.html

    http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2011/06/orange-creamsicle-smoothie-dairy-free.html

    http://onceamonthmom.com/menus/whole-foods/

    ReplyDelete