Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Not Your "Stereotypical" Christian

I'm a Christian, but I don't fit any stereotype.  Although, when I think about it, who really does fit a stereotype?  There are those who see a stereotype in others b/c they choose to make judgements on the surface instead of getting to know someone and seeing the depth and complications of a person that do not fall into just one category.  Than there are those who think they ought to act or be a certain way and decide to be a stereotype in order to what - fit in?  be accepted?  be cool?  be liked?

I don't think people can be placed in absolute categories or boxes; humans are way too complex for that.  Although, not everyone can see the grays...plenty of people only see black or white.  I know I was a black-or-white type of person at one time but I was blessed to have people around me who cared enough to point out my errors.  And so I tried to pay it forward once I saw the light, but not everyone wants to see outside their absolute, black-and-white view of people, human nature and the world.

I don't believe God created me, with the talents, opinions and perspective that I have, to curb them or restrict them to some preconceived notion.  So, this is me:

I believe that we all worship the same God, no matter what we call him/her/it - God, Jesus, Yahweh, Jehovah, Allah, Brahman, Kali Ma, Mother Earth, The Force, etc.

I don't believe that creationism and evolutionism are mutually exclusive.  I think common sense has to allow for evolutionism.  I also believe, however, that the human body is so freaking complex, that it could not possibly have occurred by accident; regardless of how it happened, it was by design.

I don't believe in religion; I believe in faith.  Religion was created by man and those men have gotten in the way.  It should be us, as individuals, and our God, no one in between to make up rules.  Due to my Catholic upbringing, I spent the first 36 years of my life in fear of God and feeling unworthy.  That's an example of religion getting in the way of, or replacing, faith.

I believe we should live according to what Jesus said in Matthew 22:37-39 "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your mind.  That is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is equally as important: Love your neighbor as yourself."  Not just love the neighbors who believe/act/think/do the same as you, but all your neighbors.  And it certainly does not mean work hard to prevent some of your neighbors from having the same rights as you do.

I cuss and I yell.  A lot.

I'm not a Republican.  Since I was 18, I have been a registered Independent.

I've never had an abortion nor could I image a circumstance when I would want one.  And just so you know, I have been raped.  In fact, that's how I lost my virginity.  I did not get pregnant from it, but if I had, I still don't think I would have aborted the baby.  I wish that all women who find themselves with an unwanted pregnancy could carry their child to full-term and allow someone who cannot have any children adopt the baby; someone like me.  But that's not going to happen.   So I do not think Roe V. Wade should be overturned.  Even if abortions were illegal, they would still be done.  And I don't feel our tax dollars would be well spent to hunt down and prosecute abortionists and mothers seeking abortions.

On that note, I don't think our tax dollars should be spent on searching for and prosecuting patients who purchase marijuana to help them cope with their diseases.

I believe we all have the right to marry the person we love and have that marriage acknowledged and protected by our government to ensure we all have the same rights.  If you are against gay marriage, don't get one!

I drink alcohol and I enjoy it.

I don't believe that only Christians, or only baptized Christians, or only Catholics, or only whatever religion you happen to be, get into Heaven.  My Nana and Papa were and will always be the two people in this world that I look up to the most.  They faced and lived through hardships and heartache I could  never imagine.  They were/are loving Christians who were not baptized nor regularly attended a church.  But they lived out the two greatest commandments that Jesus gave us.  In the 5th grade, Sister Patrice told me that I should spend as much time as possible with my Nana and Papa while they were still alive b/c I would never see them again after they died.  You see, I was baptized in the Catholic Church and they were not and only baptized Catholics were going to get into Heaven.  I know, with every fiber of my being, that God did not send his only Son to be born on this Earth, to be persecuted, crucified and die on a cross, only to save the Roman Catholics.

God is present in every single human being on this planet.  It has to be so b/c He made us, all of us, in His image.  So regardless of our religion, or lack there of, God loves us, He deems us worthy, and desires the best for us.  And b/c of how He feels about us, we all will get into Heaven unless we royally fuck it up!

OK, it's 11:29pm and I promised  the hubs I would be in bed by 11:30pm.  Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment