Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Recipes: Pan-Fried Pork Chops, Mashed Potatoes and Iceberg Wedges with Ranch Dressing

Do you know The Pioneer Woman?  If not, you must get to know her!  She cooks up some darn good grub!  I have not liked every recipe of hers that I've made, but most of them, I do.  This past weekend, I made her Pan-Fried Pork Chops, some mashed potatoes and Iceberg wedges with her homemade ranch dressing.  Everything was a hit, except for the potatoes with B.  He does not like skins on his potatoes and I insist on cooking with them b/c of their nutritional value.  Also, I did not make gravy and B only wants to eat mashed potatoes with gravy on top.  Too bad, he had to eat what I served.  The best part was that B ate the entire wedge of salad that I put on his plate without a single grumble!  He loved the dressing that much.  I'm onto something here...  Oh, and my leftover-hating son ate the leftovers for dinner the next night, too!

Some modifications to the recipes:

I did not buy bone-in chops.  I have thick cut, boneless chops that I sliced sideways to make them nice and thin.

I have no idea what her secret is to cutting Iceberg wedges into wedges that stay wedges on the plate.  However, no one noticed or just chose not to comment due to the deliciousness of the homemade ranch dressing.  Oh, and I cooked up a couple of slices of bacon and crumbled them on top of the dressing.  Probably a bigger distraction to the lack of wedges than the dressing.

I didn't buy dill nor cayenne at the store b/c I was convinced I had some at home.  Turns out the hubs finally decided to do some cleaning in the fridge and the spice pantry w/o my knowledge.  *sigh*  So, I really missed the dill in the dressing, but the boys didn't notice.  Next time, they're going in the dressing though.

I used milk instead of buttermilk b/c I never use up all the buttermilk in a carton before it goes bad so I try to avoid buying it.  I could have made some, but I was lazy and hungry, so I just used regular milk.

I did add the optional vinegar, worcestershire and paprika to the dressing.

This dinner was a big hit and will be added to my dinner rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment