Thursday, August 2, 2012

Desserts!


I don't usually make desserts unless it's the Christmas season or we are having company.  Desserts take too much effort and usually expire before they get eaten; not enough of a payoff for me.  Cooking is an Art; baking is a Science.  I prefer Art.  However, I made 2 easy-peasy desserts this week and I'm so glad I did!

I love chocolate chip cookies but hate making cookies.  It takes so long, all the scooping and baking one pan at a time.  *sigh*  Well, I found this glorious recipe on Pinterest for Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars by Jamie Cooks It Up.  Simple recipe, no scooping, no multiple pans of cookies, just spread batter in a 9"x13" pan lined with foil and bake.  The hardest part was waiting for them to cool!  They are so good and soft and chewy, just how I like my cookies.  I have gained weight this week because I can't stop eating them.  They are so good that the hubs, who is allergic to chocolate, can't keep out of the pan; he says the consequences are worth the taste!  I highly recommend you hop on over to Jamie Cooks It Up and Pin, print or save this recipe.  Better yet, just make a batch right now and share it with someone you love.  These would be perfect welcome-to-the-neighborhood cookies, pay-it-forward cookies, I'm-sorry cookies or I-know-I'll-get-my-way-after-you-taste-these cookies.  ;o)

The next dessert I made was Blackberry Cobbler with some blackberries I got at the farmers market.  Don't know what a blackberry is?  Don't be shy, not everyone does; the hubs didn't know what I was talking about, either.  They are black raspberries.  Raspberries come in red and black and my Nana and Papa grew them in their garden.  They called the 2 berries, "raspberries" and "blackberries", so that's what they are to me.  I used Paula Deen's Peach Cobbler recipe and substituted blackberries for the peaches.  I have made her Peach Cobbler in past Summers for guests and it's always been a huge hit.  It's so easy-breezy-lemon-squeezy, you really owe it to yourself to make this for your next BBQ or potluck.  You'll get rave reviews.  I'll show you the easy steps.

Now, my recipe comes from The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook, not the link that I posted above and the cookbook says to use 2 cups of fresh fruit (not 4), 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water in a pan, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.


While your fruit is simmering, put 1 stick of butter in a 9"x13" pan and place in a 350 degree oven to melt.


While the butter is melting, mix 1 cup sugar and 3/4 cup self-rising flour in a bowl then stir in 3/4 cup milk, making sure there are no lumps.


Once the butter is melted, pour your flour/sugar/milk mixture over the melted butter.  Do not stir.



This is what it looks like with the sugar/flour/milk mixture all poured in.


Now, remove your fruit from the heat and scoop the fruit into your pan.  Do not stir.


After scooping all the fruit in, pour the juices from the pan in, too.  Do not stir.


Pop the pan in the 350 degree oven for 30 - 45 minutes.  The crust will rise up to the top.  The hubs ate his with ice cream on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment