About Me

My photo

I am a very lucky woman with a husband and son who are smart, witty and entertaining. Our son, B, attended public school for two years, and then we embarked on a new adventure in the Fall of 2010 - homeschooling. We don't have all the answers, but we know B and this has been the best thing for him. I blog to preserve our stories and our memories, share recipes, vent and ramble on about our crazy, yet blessed, life. Would you care to follow along?

Friday, August 17, 2012

Leftover Wednesday, Part II


In addition to the delicious salad I made on Leftover Wednesday, I also made a peach cobbler for the hubs with the above spoiling peaches.  We got them at the farmers market last Saturday and they were at their use or lose stage.  I totally forgot to include the cobbler in the salad post, so I am doing so now.

This post will be a wonderful contrast to the salad post because the salad was so beautiful and the cobbler is....well...not so much.  LOL  But I want to share my triumphs and my failures in the kitchen to show it happens to everyone, I learned something and will do better next time.  See, I have a Culinary Arts degree.  I graduated 20 years ago and never worked in a commercial kitchen.  However, I have friends who are intimidated by my degree.  They're afraid to have us over for a meal, worried nothing they make will be "good enough" for me or that I will criticize them.  So not true!  I'm just happy that someone else is cooking and doing the dishes!  ;o)  Anywho, I share my kitchen mishaps to show I am human, too, and we all make mistakes.

I showed y'all how I made a Blackberry Cobbler a couple of weeks ago, using Paula Deen's recipe.  I've done the same with the peaches, only I used a smaller pan to make a thicker cobbler.  Because of the smaller pan, I should have done things differently and you'll see why soon...

I peeled and chopped 2 of the peaches and simmered for 10 minutes with 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar.


Preheated oven to 350 and placed 1 stick butter in 9"x9" pan.


Placed pan in oven and melted butter.


Mixed 1c. sugar, 3/4 c. self-rising flour and 3/4 c. milk and poured over butter. Do not mix!


Spooned simmered peaches into pan and then poured simmered juices into pan.  Do not mix!  And here is where I made a mistake!  I should not have poured all of the juice in the pan.  It was too much and bubbled over in the oven, leaving a mess and a smell.


 See the sticky mess over the top of the pan and down the sides after it baked?  The oven needed to be cleaned, as well.


Oh, well.  Lessoned learned.  I do prefer making this in the smaller pan and now I know to use only half of the juices.  But regardless of the fact that it's not very pretty, it still tasted good!

2 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS use a baking sheet, sheet of foil or silicone mat under any cobblers/pies/quiches that may spill over. I do NOT want to clean after I just baked! lol I don't even want to think about what happened to your oven. :-(

    ReplyDelete