Tuesday, July 10, 2012

SERIES: 31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10


#10: We love, honor and obey.

The priest who married us refused to put the word "obey" in both of our vows.  He said we had two choices: 1) only the bride says it, or 2) no one says it.  He was quite unhappy with us when the hubs ad-libbed it in.  ;o)  But we both vowed to obey the other and we take it seriously.  

We can't whip out The Obey over frivolous stuff, like who does the dishes or who has to run to the store because we're out of milk.  It's pulled out rarely and only in regards to the big things.  But when one of us feels strongly enough to pull out The Obey, the other one obeys because we know it is for our own good.  Sometimes your partner, your best friend, standing over there with a different perspective, is better able to make a decision than you are in that moment.

For example, about a week and a half ago, I wanted to run to the grocery store while the hubs put B down for bed.  It wasn't our full-on, bi-weekly shopping trip, just some things I needed for breakfast and lunch the next day and I wanted to get it out of the way that night so I didn't have to get up in the morning.  The hubs asked me not to go.  "A storm's coming," he said.  *sigh*  @@ "How many times do I have to tell you, there is nothing sweet about me anymore!  I won't melt!  I'm not afraid to getting wet nor of some wind!" I replied.  We went back and forth until he pulled out The Obey.  I literally growled at him and stomped to our room.  LOL

That night, a derecho swept through the area, knocking out power to over 1,000,000 locals, some of whom did not gain power back for a week.  The storm downed trees, damaged homes and took lives.  Two of my brother's neighbor's trees fell on his house and took out part of his fence.  He was without phone and power for the rest of that weekend and stayed with us.  Like I said, we don't whip out The Obey frequently, but when we do, it's for good reason and it's honored.


Don't miss any posts in this series:

31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #9
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #11
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #13
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #15
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #16
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #17
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #18
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #19
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #20
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #21
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #22
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #23
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #24
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #25
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #26
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #27
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #28
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #29
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #31

No comments:

Post a Comment