Saturday, July 14, 2012

SERIES: 31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14

              

#14: Snoring eventually becomes white noise.  Ear plugs work in the meantime.

I cannot imaging snoring, alone, ending a marriage.  There must be other issues going on besides just snoring.  Yes, it mos def interrupts sleep and sleep deprivation can make you completely miserable.  But snoring should not be a deal breaker, if everything else is good in a marriage, and both of you need to work to solve the snoring issue.

When the hubs and I started sharing a bed, he snored from day one.  OK, I though, this is my lot in life. This is how it's going to be and I need to get used to it.  And eventually I did.  Two and a half months after we were married, we had to move in with my parents and I noticed that the hubs wasn't snoring all the time.  It took me a while to figure out why (I always have to know the whys).  It was linked to alcohol.  When we were dating and then living together, the hubs would have a beer or a glass a wine with dinner every night.  When we moved into my parents house that stopped.  My parents do not drink, I rarely drank at the time so Paul did not bring it into the house.  But if we went out to eat and he had a drink or two, he snored that night.  It would wake me up when he was lying on his back, his breathing stopped and then that huge SNORT would come out of him and wake both of us up.  LOL  Simply rolling him over on to his side quieted the roaring down enough for me to get back to sleep.  Some nights you have to roll the snorer over a few times.  I eventually learned to roll him over once and wedge something behind him so he could not roll back over onto his back.  :o)

Now, if the snoring is really bad and even the snorer is sleep deprived and it affects their waking hours, a trip to the doctor is in order.  My brother was so sleep deprived he found himself falling asleep at his desk at work.  His doctor referred him to a sleep clinic, he was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now gets a wonderful, quiet night's sleep every time, thanks to his sleep machine.

I don't recommend sleeping in a different room than the snorer to get a good night's sleep.  Once that starts it hard to sleep together again because you are not used to the snoring.  Time together is what it takes to get to the point where it's white noise.  Until then, wear earplugs.

Don't miss any posts in this series:

31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #9
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #11
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #13
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #15
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #16
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #17
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #18
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #19
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #20
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #21
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #22
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #23
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #24
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #25
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #26
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #27
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #28
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #29
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #31

No comments:

Post a Comment