Monday, July 30, 2012

SERIES: 31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30


#30: Only one of us is allowed to go "up our tree" at a time.

If you have never read the book Couplehood by Paul Reiser the hubs and I highly recommend it.  It is hilarious and very true.  Before we had B, the hubs and I liked to go on long drives in our spare time and at times we've lived in different states as our parents.  So during these car rides, either for pleasure or to visit family, I would read out loud to the hubs.  I am a good out-loud reader.  I can do all kinds of voices and when I know what the author sounds like, I can put their inflection and tone in my reading.  B and the hubs both enjoy it when I read out loud.  Anywho, we had many a good laugh over Couplehood, especially when Mr. Reiser described couples going "up their trees".

"Going up your tree" basically means when you lose it, you freak out.  I'm sure you've all seen (or been) that person who cannot handle a crisis and simply goes up their tree.  This is the character who's usually running around and yelling and then gets slapped by someone in a movie or TV show.  Well, when you're a couple, you both simply cannot freak out at the same time.  One of you has to act as the sane, calm one.  Why?  Because someone has to talk the other out of their tree!  This is a sign of a strong couple, according to Mr. Reiser, and one of the reasons he and his wife, Paula, are good together: only one person goes up there tree at a time.  The other person must talk the tree climber down so then he or she can go up their tree.

The hubs and I are the same way.  There are some specific situations in which the same person goes up their tree.  Other times, it's just whoever gets to their tree first and the other person has to be the calm one, by default.  

Don't miss any posts in this series:

31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #9
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #11
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #13
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #15
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #16
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #17
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #18
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #19
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #20
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #21
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #22
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #23
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #24
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #25
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #26
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #27
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #28
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #29
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #31

No comments:

Post a Comment