Tuesday, July 31, 2012

SERIES: 31 Reasons the Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #31


#31: God

I've saved the most important reason for last.  As the hubs said in Reason #24, God brought us together but He also saved our family.  In 2008, we were unhappy individuals which made for an unhappy couple.  Although we were Christians, neither of us had been active in a Church since B was baptized. The hubs and I each had our own reasons for being miserable with ourselves and that affected the whole household.  I went to the hubs one day in September and told him I'd like us to find a church home.  I felt that if we let God into our home and learned how to have a relationship with Him, that we could be happy and peaceful.  To my surprise, the hubs said he had been thinking the same thing!  God was already working inside of us.

We decided that every Sunday, we would go to a different church in our town and then decide which one we liked the best.  We never made it past the first church.  We felt so welcomed from the moment we walked through the doors.  Someone kindly directed us to the proper Sunday school classroom for B and assisted us with signing him in.  Everyone was so friendly and accepting!  The pastor's sermon spoke exactly to where the hubs and I were at that moment in our lives and gave us tools to help us get out.  We walked out of there with a very happy boy who could not stop talking bout everything he'd learned in Sunday school and feeling like a weight had been lifted off our shoulders.  That week was the best week in our house in a long time.  I'd never had a service experience affect my whole week before!

So we kept going back.  I joined a women's Bible study class and we all relearned about God, things we'd never heard from the churches we'd grown up in.  Our church is Bible-based and has taught us how to get to know God and have a relationship with Him.  They haven't given us a long list of rules and prayers, told us were not worthy to go to God, told us we have to go through others who are more worthy to intercede with God on our behalf.  They've showed us that we are children of God and He wants to be with us and wants us to let Him love us.  

Our whole lives, relationships and family have turned completely around since God has been in our hearts and our home.  Our perspectives, our reactions to challenges that arise, our view on wants vs. needs, what is important in this world and what is not, have all changed.  We were always a good match for each other and had proved over the years we would stand the test of time.  But now we are happier, at peace inside, and no longer worry about those damn Joneses.  ;o)  

I can do all things, through Christ, who gives me strength.  Philippians 4:13

The hubs and I have really enjoyed sharing these reasons with you and walking down memory lane this month.  We hope you have, too!

Don't miss any posts in this series:

31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #9
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #11
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #13
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #15
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #16
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #17
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #18
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #19
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #20
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #21
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #22
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #23
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #24
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #25
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #26
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #27
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #28
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #29
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30

No comments:

Post a Comment