Thursday, July 12, 2012

SERIES: 31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12


#12: Neither one of us may make a financial decision over $100 without consulting with, and getting the agreement of, the other.


Many, many marriages end over finances and I can understand why!  We were two independent people when we met, managing our own money with no input from anyone else and we both felt we were doing a mighty fine job at it.  But one of us was a spender and one of us was a saver (I'm not naming names).  We've had our money together in the same account from the beginning.  However, If I was a young person today, there is no way I would pool my money with my spouse.  I have seen firsthand how nasty divorcing couples can be and purposefully hurt each other financially.

One of us made some bad financial decisions in the past and then tried to solve them alone, instead of being honest with the other one and working on a solution together.  Covering up led to more bad financial decisions that we have been paying for (literally) for years.  So now, no one can buy, contribute to or commit to anything over $100 without permission from the other.

The A/C unit in the house we rent is 10 years old and is too small to cool down this house.  We've had 3 A/C and heating professionals tell us that.  But the owner is not willing to get a bigger nor an additional unit.  So, our cooling expenses in this house are outrageous!  The until runs constantly because it cannot get the temperature inside below 82 during the day and we run 3 freestanding fans (there are no ceiling fans or even wiring for them in this house, either).  Costco has coupons right now for portable air conditioners and I want to buy one.  The $300-$400 cost of the unit is less money than we spend in the higher electricity from the A/C unit running so much!  I like the portable one b/c there is no window installation involved and we can have it downstairs during the day and upstairs at night.  All I need to cool during the day is the kitchen and family room.  At night, we could move it upstairs to our bedroom because all the cool air in the house is directed to B's room and his room only.

I am not a weather complainer; I can't stand hearing and reading people who bitch constantly about the weather no matter what season they are in.  We had A/C in my house growing up, but my mom only turned it on for guests.  So we were covered in sweat all the time; that was the norm.  While I have felt the heat the 1st 3 Summers we were here, and I listened to the hubs complain about it every single day when he came home form work, it didn't bother me that much.  But this Summer it's really bad due to the higher temps outside.  So, I asked the hubs about buying a portable A/C unit last week.  I thought for sure he'd be all for it since the heat bothers him more than me, but I was wrong.  He said no.

I want to buy it.  I could ignore his wishes, go out and buy it and serve the family ramen noodles for the rest of the year in order to pay for it.  I know once it's in the house, the hubs would be so happy and cool that he wouldn't make me return it.  But I'm not going to do that.  Know why?  Because we have an agreement and I wouldn't want it done to me.  That's a major key in any relationship - to treat others as you want to be treated.  When asked which commandment was the most important, Jesus boiled them down to just two things we need to do: 1) Love God with your whole heart, mind and soul, and 2) love your neighbor as yourself.  And He's the expert on everything.

Don't miss any posts in this series:

31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #9
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #10
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #11
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #12
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #13
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #14
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #15
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #16
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #17
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #18
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #19
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #20
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #21
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #22
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #23
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #24
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #25
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #26
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #27
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #28
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #29
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #30
31 Reasons The Hubs and I Have Lasted 17 Years, #31

No comments:

Post a Comment